|$428.00 (including GST)|
ACCA members will enjoy the members' fee of $363.80 (including GST). Kindly key in the promo code "ACCA18" during registration. You may furnish your ACCA membership number upon receipt of our confirmation.
Withholding tax is a mechanism to collect income tax from certain groups of non-residents and is an area often overlooked by businesses. With the rise of cross border transactions, it is therefore important for businesses to understand the practical application of withholding tax to avoid penalties and minimise their tax burden.
This programme is part of the Professional Skills Series, designed specifically to give Accounting and Tax Professionals a practical knowledge of withholding tax. You will also learn about the concept of permanent establishment and gain a basic understanding of some articles in tax treaty. Personnel involved in tax compliance of the company and project costing will also find the workshop useful.
1. Overview of withholding tax system
2. Who are non-resident companies and individuals
3. Transactions that are subject to withholding tax
- Applicable sections in Singapore Income Tax Act
- Rights-based approach for characterising software payments and payments for the use of or the right to use information and digitised goods
4. Exemptions and remissions
- Rationalise the withholding tax exemption for financial sector (Singapore Budget 2018)
5. Withholding tax rate
- Singapore Income Tax Act
- Application of tax treaties
- Permanent establishment and implication to withholding tax
- Various articles in a tax treaty (eg business profits, royalties and interest articles, etc)
- Claiming exemptions or reduced rates under the tax treaties
- Certificates of residence
6. Permanent Establishment (“PE”)
- Definition of PE
- Types of PE
7. Withholding tax compliance and administration
- Timing of withholding and payment to IRAS
- Who bears the withholding tax
- When payment is in foreign currency
- Withholding tax forms
- Penalties for non-compliance
- Voluntary disclosure
8. Foreign tax credit
9. Case studies
Lau Gim Hoon
Gim Hoon is an Accredited Tax Advisor (Income Tax) with the Singapore Institute of Accredited Tax Professionals.
She has more than 30 years of experience in GST and Corporate Tax consultancy. She had previously spent more than 10 years with one of the big four international accounting firms and almost 20 years in large corporations and public listed company. She specialised in corporate tax compliance (including handling IRAS queries, tax audit and cross border issues) and advisory work for inbound and outbound investments. With her vast and practical experience, Gim Hoon encourages active participation from participants and ensuring effective application of the learned knowledge.
Prices shown are in SGD and inclusive of 7% GST but do not include handling & shipping (if applicable)
Copyright © 2016 Wolters Kluwer